Saturday 14 July 2012

A Week of Throwing with Richard Phethean

I am just recovering from a week of throwing, it was great fun but for some reason my calf muscles ache.  I spent last Monday to Friday at Richard Phethean's studio at Sibford School near Banbury, learning how to throw bigger, stronger, better pots.  It was great to have so much time in the presence of a renowned potter and he was so generous with his time and knowledge.  I feel much more confident about my throwing now.


Here are some pots I brought back with me they have been coated in white slip, either painted or dipped. The saucers and one bowl have some coloured slip decoration too. They will be biscuit fired and then a transparent glaze applied before the glaze firing. Some of them have suffered a bit in transport, the larger bowls have deformed slightly and some of the white slip has been smudged so they might not all make it into the kiln.

 Of course I couldn't come away without buying a some of Richard's work.
 


















I would highly recommend Richard's course to anyone who wants to improve their throwing skills.  There were nine of us there, all with different levels of ability and we all gained a lot from his tuition.
Richard is planning a move to Cornwall in the next couple of years so how about combining a holiday with a pottery course.  His website is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment